Recent Posts

5.27.2010

Alice


 This vintage photo sits in a simple wooden frame, and has been a permanent fixture in my parents house for as long as I can remember. Until recently, I've never given much thought to this lovely stranger. Who is she? When and where did she live? To this day, I don't know anything about her, other than her name, scribbled in the corner of the photograph.

Alice.

I've always liked the name Alice. It has a vintage-y feel without being old fashioned. It's simple, feminine, and brings up memories of reading Alice in Wonderland for the first time. Secrely, I've always felt that if I ever had a daughter, I'd like to name her Alice.

M once told me (without prompting, no less!) he loved the name Alice for a baby girl, and I was both surprised and pleased.

I'm not completely sure, but I believe Alice might be my great-grandmother from my father's side. I'll probably never know for sure, as my estranged grandfather died several years ago. My father might have some answers for me, but I suspect he'd be disinclined to share any information about his father.

In any case, her picture is now sitting atop our record player, next to a vintage green-glass kerosene lamp and a cardinal figurine. Sometimes, I'll spare a glance at this photo and I'll wonder about this mysterious woman and her secret life.


"Love Alice"

0 comments: