Recent Posts

10.19.2010

13 Days of Tricks & Treats


To begin 13 Days of Tricks & Treats, I would like to write a little about one of my favorite novels, the infamous Frankenstein by Mary Shelley.


Frankenstein is one of the most beautifully heartbreaking stories I have ever read... It explores the character of a man whose obsessions and relentless  pursuit of knowledge leads him to the invention of a creature so hideously deformed, so monstrous, that his creator abandons his creation. The Creature is left helpless, without a friend or ally in the world.


I first read this novel my senior year of high school. From the moment I picked up Frankenstein, I was lost in the Romantic world of Mary Shelley. I remember my English teacher telling us that although we may see the Creature as a monster in the beginning, we would come to realize that Victor Frankenstein was the true monster... Indeed, by the end of the book, my heart was breaking for the poor, lonely Creature... who's greatest wish was simply for a friend.


This lovely piece of art thoroughly explores human nature, and our tendency to  (as a society) reject anyone different from ourselves. For this Halloween season, Frankenstein is an absolute must-read.

2 comments:

Gerri said...

i love the book Frankenstein, it is one of my favorites as well.

:)

Televise My Life said...

You're very right. Frankenstein is a great book! I read it years ago, so I forgot a lot of what happens. Thanks for this, I just may pick it up again lol